Virtual Engagement and Activities
Looking for something to do as a break from classes or as a way to enhance some of your time away from campus? Here are some potential ideas to keep you entertained and engaged.
Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems! Join Kennedy Center Education Artist-in-Residence at Home for a live daily doodle lesson at Noon CST. Videos will be available after live on the Kennedy Center YouTube channel.
Join the McHarper Manor weekdays on Facebook for a daily art project tutorial. Art projects will range from watercolor paintings to chalk art to canvas painting and will take place live at Noon CST. Videos will be available after the live class on the McHarper Manor Facebook page.
Missing group fitness classes or going to the gym?
- Make sure to check out what is going on with Ole Miss Campus Recreation! Our Campus Rec Department has put together some amazing resources for students.
- Check out the Planet Fitness Facebook page for live-streamed daily workouts several times a day.
- Is Yoga more your thing? Check out CorePower Yoga to keep up your practice from the comfort of your living room.
- 305 Fitness Known for making cardio into a dance party, 305 Fitness has about 20 free classes on its YouTube channel while its studios are closed.
- Studio Three takes a unique approach in combining cycling, yoga and interval training in the same gym. While its two Chicago locations are closed, the gym is hosting classes on Instagram Live multiple times during the day, typically in the morning, during the lunch hour and early evening. If you miss a session, the workouts are available for playback on the app.
- Golds Gym is offering free access to its app, Goldsamp, until the end of May, where more than 600 audio and video workouts along with DJ mixes get you ready to work up a sweat.
- Or join Colorado fitness professional Alex Vaughan for live dance classes through their YouTube channel Zook Dance Fitness or learn a routine for a specific song from the previously recorded videos.
For an introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own, visit UCLA Health for downloadable guided meditations in both English and Spanish.
Interested in taking a free elective from an Ivy League to enhance your current learning? Check out the 450 classes being offered online here.
Volunteer From Home
You can still put some good out into the world from your couch, from your computer or from your mobile device.
- Multilingual students can serve as webpage translators, empathetic listeners can volunteer with 7 Cups, and sighted students can download Be My Eyes to lend a hand — or, eye — to blind and visually-impaired.
- You can find more opportunities below.
- 25 Volunteer Jobs To Do From Home
- Online Volunteering Opportunities
- Plus, the local non-profit groups that you usually partner with and philanthropies that student organizations support may also appreciate virtual help. Reach out to see how you can continue supporting their work, if possible.
Virtual Tours and Museums
Experience the best museums from NYC to France to Seoul in the comfort of your own home. Check out these sites to go on virtual tours of different museums and specific exhibits.
- The Louvre
- National Gallery of Art
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
- Van Gogh Museum
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City
- British Museum
Check out some cool places around the world from National Parks to National Landmarks.
- Go on a virtual field trip to Ellis Island
- Take a live look at Colonial Williamsburg
- Tour England through this 360 video
- Virtually discover Yellowstone National Park and 5 other National Parks thanks to virtual reality (and Google)!
- Talk a walk on the Great Wall of China
- Check out the view from Pompeii through Google Maps
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover
Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! Just want a cute and cuddly distraction? Check out several different animal live cam options from watching silly sea otters and curious elephants or just mellow out to the hypnotic drifting jellyfish.
- San Diego Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute
- Atlanta’s Zoo Panda Cam
- Georgia Aquarium
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bears
- Explore Live Cams
- Houston Zoo
- Did you know students, staff, and faculty have free access to video conferencing with Zoom? This is a great way to “meet up” with your friends, classmates, and student organization members. Check out our tips for utilizing Zoom.
- This is not only a great way to participate in calls for class, but is a great way to continue having student organization meetings.
More Fun Things To Do
- Are you a big time Harry Potter fan? This digital ‘Harry Potter’ escape room lets you visit Hogwarts from your computer or mobile device!
- Do you have some outdoor space that you can use for gardening? Check out this helpful resource for starting and maintaining your own personal garden (thank you to Brooke and Shana Mendelson for this suggestion).
- Check out the 25 Most Interesting Webcams of 2018
- Have a Netflix Party with friends while watching your favorite shows together!
- Have a long distance movie night with family and friends.
- Choose from 15 Broadway plays and musicals that you can watch on stage from home.
- Musical television more your thing? Check out this list of 11 Musical TV Shows to binge watch while you’re home, in between your remote classes of course!
- Create a collaborative playlist with your friends.
- Take up a new hobby such as making towel animals, crocheting, or choose from thousands of other tutorial videos on YouTube.
- Watch an Opera for free with the Metropolitan Opera
- Listen to a live recording from the Seattle Symphony
- Complete the Census! You can respond to the 2020 Census by visiting and completing online questionnaire.
- Print off a free printable coloring page from the “Color Our Collections” campaign with coloring sheets from over 100 museums and libraries from around the world or choose from over 1,500 coloring pages with Just Color.
Thank you to Colorado University Boulder and the University of Houston for sharing many of these great ideas for virtual activities and programs. Please note that the University of Mississippi does not own or oversee any of the above sites or resources.